link subhalos to subbox snapshots

Xu Li
  • 29 Mar

when I use the subbox to focus on high time resolution, I try to use the subfindID or subhaloID read from fullbox's merger tree. But I failed.
So what should I do to identify the subhalos in subbox which I have get from the fullbox?

Dylan Nelson
  • 7 Apr

There are no catalogs for the subboxes.

So if you have a (sub)halo from a fullbox snapshot at the same time, you could e.g. use its position, and go to that location in space.

Xu Li
  • 16 Apr

Dear Sir,
I just try to read the mass of the subhalo in subbox , but its value is zero in some snapshot. Why?

Dylan Nelson
  • 16 Apr

Can you please post your exact code, and the output.

No subhalo has zero total mass, since subhalos have a minimum of 20 particles/cells, each of which has mass.

Xu Li
  • 17 Apr

1.png
the masses of gas , black holes and stars is 0. And for dark matter, should I still use the snapshot.loadsubhalo this function to get?

Dylan Nelson
  • 17 Apr

Many subhalos have zero gas, stellar, and SMBH mass, i.e. they have only DM mass. These are typically low mass.

Xu Li
  • 17 Apr

Thanks for your replying, Sir.
And how to read their DM mass? I try using function in snapshot like, il.snapshot.loadSubhalo, but failed.
If I need to read the snapdir_subbox0 these file , does there are some way to know which DM particles belong to the subhalo?

Dylan Nelson
  • 17 Apr

If you are referring to a subbox snapshot, then there are no catalogs, so there are no subhalos.

The values in the "SubboxSubhaloList" catalog are obtained by going to the spatial position of the subhalo (using the catalogs from the full snapshot), loading all particles, and looking at those particles within a given distance from the position of the center of the subhalo. You could then sum their masses.

• Page 1 of 1