Gas Particle Calculations Relative to Galaxy Centers

Jim O'Connor
  • 21 Oct '22

Hi Dylan – I’m just starting a research project using the IllustrisTNG100 dataset and would appreciate your help and advice.

I would like to select a massive galaxy and calculate if there is gas inflow within 3kpc of the centre of the galaxy and I was wondering on how best to do this.

For example, do I need to translate the gas particle coordinates from the whole simulation to be relative to the centre of the selected galaxy?

Once I can calculate the gas particle inflow/outflow for one galaxy I would like to extend and apply the calculation to 30 or 40 other galaxies using Python.

The files are too big for my laptop but I have access to my university’s compute cluster and around 20Tb of storage – would that be enough?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Jim.

Dylan Nelson
  • 22 Oct '22

Hi Jim,

Yes you should first (i) select the halos of interest, then (ii) load their gas cell data, one halo at a time.

You should translate both the Coordinates and Velocities into the frame of the central galaxy / center of the halo. Then you can calculate a radial mass flux.

If you are just going to look at one redshift (e.g. one snapshot), then I would suggest to download it (~1 TB) onto your cluster.

Otherwise the Lab service may be useful.

Jim O'Connor
  • 23 Oct '22

Many Thanks Dylan

• Page 1 of 1