Source location for downloading data from JupyterLab workspace (rsync)

Farhanul Hasan
  • 6 Jul '22

Hi, I am trying to download a bunch of files from my jupyterlab workspace at once. I understand that rsync can be used now to accomplish this. What exactly will be the “source” directory of the data if I rsync download from there to say, my personal machine? I tried using data-eu.tng-project.org:[username] but that didn’t work. Can I ask what the format of the source directory will be?

Thanks

Dylan Nelson
  • 6 Jul '22

We discussed this a bit in this thread.

In particular, you can rsync "out" from the Lab, but you cannot rsync "in".

So in the Lab, you can type e.g. rsync files* remote.system.address.edu:~/

Farhanul Hasan
  • 7 Jul '22

Thank you, but I feel like my question wasn't clear enough. I was asking for what the remote.system.address.edu will be for a given user?
For example, I tried "farhasan@data-eu.tng-project.org" and "data-eu.tng-project.org/farhasan" and many variations thereof with no avail. I even tried "farhasan:[IP Address]" using the public IP address of the workspace in my browser.

Sorry if this has been answered in previous posts, but I didn't see it. If this is information that I can gleam from my jupyterlab workspace or from this site, I would love to know how.

Thank you again

Dylan Nelson
  • 8 Jul '22

You cannot access your Lab workspace from outside.

However, from within your Lab, you can make a remote (outgoing) connection to a different server. I.e., the command above would be run inside the Lab, and the needed address is that of your other server.

Farhanul Hasan
  • 8 Jul '22

Thank you so much, that makes a lot more sense!

• Page 1 of 1