Particle data of subhalos are all zeros

Haowen Zhang
  • 10 Apr '22

Hi, I was trying to get particle data for some galaxies in a few snapshots by using the get() functions and url queries, like:

get(http://www.tng-project.org/api/TNG50-1/snapshots/67/subhalos/0/cutout.hdf5?stars=Potential,Masses,Velocities&dm=Potential,Velocities&gas=Potential,Masses,Velocities)

However, the particle data in downloaded hdf5 files are all equal to zero, although the sizes (i.e., the number of particles) seem to make sense. Could you please check if the particle data are not back online yet?

Thanks!

Dylan Nelson
  • 10 Apr '22

Hi Haowen,

Keep in mind that subhalo 0 is really enormous. If you try just one particle field at a time, does it work? (This object has roughly half a billion particles alone).

Dylan Nelson
  • 10 Apr '22

I do see, though, that snap 67 of TNG50-1 isn't yet available (on our new filesystem). This copy is running. In a few days everything should be finished, so I'd suggest to just wait a bit longer.

Haowen Zhang
  • 10 Apr '22

Hi Dylan, thanks for your response! You're right, subhalo#0 of most (if not all) snapshots are really big, but the problem doesn't show up only in these biggest galaxies. I was trying to use the SubfindID in the stellar circularity catalog (stellar_circs.hdf5) to retrieve some galaxies. When I try requesting data for not-so-big galaxies (bigger SubfindID's), same thing happens for integer redshifts, like z=5,4,3,2,1 (snapshot=17, 21, 25, 33, 50, whose snapshot data volumes are also bigger), the same zero-value issue shows up. If I try to get galaxies from other snapshots like snapshot=18, then the following error message would be given:

HTTPError: 400 Client Error: Bad Request for url: https://www.tng-project.org/api/TNG50-1/snapshots/18/subhalos/166583/cutout.hdf5?stars=Potential,Masses,Velocities&dm=Potential,Velocities&gas=Potential,Masses,Velocities

So it seems that snapshots with smaller data volumes are also not working, either?

Thanks!

Dylan Nelson
  • 11 Apr '22

Hi Haowen,

That's correct, the TNG50-1 snapshots are still only partially available. I'd suggest just to wait a few more days.

• Page 1 of 1