analyzing simulation data using the Julia language

Dylan Nelson
  • 12 Jan '22

This is an announcement that the example scripts for working with/loading Illustris[TNG] data have been updated to include support for the Julia language.

You can find the new illustris_julia library on Github.

The getting started walkthrough, documentation, and reference has also been updated. In addition to Python, Matlab, and IDL, which were previously available, it now also includes examples for Julia.

Thanks to Rahul Ramesh for getting this off the ground.

Any questions, suggestions, or bug reports welcome.

Denis Cioffi
  • 13 Jan '22

Woo hoo! Thanks --- as I'm still learning Julia, you two just saved me tons of time.

The code for the first graph doesn't agree with the picture, where, e.g., the labels have used LaTeX. For what it's worth, I used LateXStrings --- "using LateXStrings" --- with the following code to obtain the attached, in png (rather than svg, which has a much larger file size), and I ran it in a Jupyter notebook.

scatter(mass_msun, subhalos["SubhaloSFRinRad"], xaxis=:log, minorticks = 9, yaxis=:log, ylims=[1e-2,1e2], xlims=(10^9, 10^15),  label = "")

savefig(scatter!(xlabel= L"Total Mass [$M_\odot]$", ylabel=L"Star Formation Rate [$M_\odot$/yr]", left_margin = 4Plots.mm, right_margin = 4Plots.mm, bottom_margin = 4Plots.mm), "SFR_TM.png")

By the way, I think the second graph looks quite different, but many, many thanks for setting this up.

SFR_TM.png

Denis Cioffi
  • 13 Jan '22

P.S. Looks like "yaxis= :log" was left out of the commands that plot the Total Subhalo Mass [code units] vs. Snapshot Number.

• Page 1 of 1