star formation rates over a timescale

DErrick Carr
  • 22 Jul

I want to get a star formation rate that is not instantaneous, but is more of a 500 Myr averaged SFH. I have an idea of what I could do to get that and just wanted to ask if this sounds like it would work.

• Use the GFM_StellarFormationTime parameter to specify star particles born in the past 500 Myrs
  • Sum up the masses of all those star particles born in the past 500 Myrs
  • Divide by 500 Myrs to get a SFR in units of Msuns/year

Also, by "Instantaneous" Star formation rates, does the instantaneous mean stars born in just that snapshot? I don't think you can have truly instantaneous given it's in units of Msuns/yrs

Dylan Nelson
  • 23 Jul

That's correct, just note there are two possible masses you can sum which mean different things (PartType4/Masses and PartType4/GFM_InitialMass), be careful you use the one you want.

There is also an existing Star Formation Rates supplementary catalog you can compare with/use.

"Instantaneous" comes instead from the gas cells, and not the star particles. This is because every gas cell computes its current level of SFR.

DErrick Carr
  • 23 Jul

Thanks! Just to be clear though, that supplementary catalog is not accessible from the JupyterLab, right?

• Page 1 of 1