Loading Illustris into yt

Charles Walker
  • 6 Mar '20

Hey all,

I'm currently trying to use a tutorial for the TRIDENT package on IllustrisTNG data.

I'm having some problems with this, which seem to stem from the yt package struggling to load Illustris' GADGET-like AREPO data properly as it does not have a smoothing length (see, e.g., here).

I've come across your answer to a previous question on the topic, but I'm new to this sort of work, and am not entirely sure how to load the data and include a smoothing length in the first place.

I suspect that I may have to do something along the lines of changing the default GADGET field specifications as explained by yt documentation here but I'm currently unsure how to do that.

Do you have any tips or pointers to more documentation exampling how to do this for IllustrisTNG data?

Would I have to create a my_def_field for the entire Part_Type_0 table provided here?

Thanks,

Charlie

Dylan Nelson
  • 9 Mar '20

Hi Charles,

Unfortunately I can't help with anything yt related as I haven't tried to use it with Illustris or TNG.

It would be nice if it worked out of the box, but it looks like that isn't quite true yet. I'd maybe suggest to ask John Zuhone (from that thread), who has likely made some TNG data work with yt.

• Page 1 of 1