About Photometry

Flaminia Fortuni
  • 16 Apr '18

Hello, I'm new to Illustris; I'm using Illustris-3 simulation (from z=4 to z=0) to start and I need some informations about the "SubhaloStellarPhotometrics" field: I can't find out if these photometries are rest-frame or observed. I read the informations in the field "GFM_StellarPhotometrics " and in some papers, but I really can't understand. Another thing, I want to realize the UVJ plane, is the J-band available ? and what about the dust in this simulation? Thank you very much for helping me F.

Dylan Nelson
  • 16 Apr '18

Hi Flaminia,

These are rest-frame, and are intrinsic (i.e. no dust attenuation or treatment of dust has been applied). They don't have the J band, unfortunately. If you are interested in either of these two things, you could either:

• Make use of the Multi-band Stellar Mocks (Images). These include the bands you would want, and you could extract total luminosity in rest-frame or observed frame by summing up all the image pixels (or e.g. the pixels within some aperture).

• Use a post-processing tool like the FSPS python wrapper, to which you can directly feed the ages and metallicities of individual star particles to get their luminosities, in any band, observed or rest, and optionally with various simple dust models.

Flaminia Fortuni
  • 9 May '18

Thank you. About "Multi-band Stellar Mocks (Images)", they say "At redshifts above zero two separate sets of FITS files are available for (i) rest-frame and (ii) redshifted values. ", but in this page they say "llustris-1 has the Stellar Mocks: Multi-band Images and SEDs available. Coverage: z=0 snapshot 135 ONLY". So I deduce that Multi-band Stellar Mocks Images are not available for z>0, right?

Dylan Nelson
  • 10 May '18

Thanks for pointing this out, it was just outdated text on the second page. I've updated it now.

• Page 1 of 1