Velocity dispersion of particles inside a subhalo

David Wang
  • 9 Jul '19

Hi there,
I am wondering that whether the velocity dispersion of all particles confined in a subhalo is overestimated than that from the observation. For instance, the typical velocity dispersion for gas particles in dwarf galaxies is in range 7.6~11.4 km/s (van Zee 1997). However, the velocity dispersion in TNG is in range about 10~100km/s. Is this the case?

Dylan Nelson
  • 10 Jul '19

Hi David,

I refer you to our recent investigation in Pillepich+ (2019) from the new TNG50 simulation. There you will find measurements of Halpha gas velocity dispersions as a function of stellar mass and redshift.

Note that these are not made for observational comparison, i.e. they neglect observational details, but you can get a rough idea of the numbers.

David Wang
  • 10 Jul '19

Thank you Dylan! By the way, do you know how to download a folder from jupyterLab environment? I stored a data set in a folder and there are about 1000 files in the folder and I am thinking about analyze them on my own computer.

Dylan Nelson
  • 11 Jul '19

Hi,

You should be able to open up a terminal and do a tar or zip and then download the resulting file.

David Wang
  • 17 Jul '19

Thank you!

• Page 1 of 1